For years, the dental industry has been advocating implants as the preferable tooth restoration option in most circumstances.
But many dental insurance companies don’t cover teeth implants. The dental insurance industry seems to be stuck in 1970. For example, many insurers will cover dental bridges.
Clearly, dental insurance providers rarely make coverage decisions based on what is best for the patient.
However, you shouldn’t give up on tooth implants if your dental insurer doesn’t cover them. You may be able to get coverage for part of the procedure. Or your medical insurance may cover part of the course of action.
What to do if your dental insurer doesn’t cover tooth implants
- Have your implant dentist provide a detailed implant treatment plan in writing
- Armed with your treatment plan, talk to both your dental insurer and your medical insurance provider
- Ask your dental insurance provider if they will give you an allowance equal to the price of a bridge or conventional dentures
- Ask your dental insurance provider if they will cover the cost of the crown(s)
- If your tooth loss has medical complications, your health insurance provider might cover some fundamentals of the implant treatment
- Consider switching dental insurers–if your employer offers more than one dental option, contact the other provider(s) to find out if they cover implants
- Pay for dental implants instead of premiums: consider not renewing your dental insurance and use the money saved toward the cost of implants
- Look into dental implant-specific insurance–some organizations are filling a need in the industry by offering dental insurance developed specifically for tooth implants and related services
- Ask Salt Lake Dental Care – Clint Blackwood DDS about financing and payment options
Permanent dental implants are a wise investment in your health and quality of life. If you need implants but your insurance doesn’t cover them, speak with us at Salt Lake Dental Care – Clint Blackwood DDS.
Contact Salt Lake Dental Care – Clint Blackwood DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
279 E 5900 S Ste 202